May 30, 2013

Paukaneva

It's been a busy week workwise. Shouldn't really complain as it means money, but it would be nice to get out of the house once in a while, especially in summer. So, as I got the last urgent project finished yesterday, I decided to go cycling this morning. And I'm still in schedule despite taking that time off.

I guess you could call me nuts, because my idea of relaxing is getting up at 4 AM and heading out to a bog at 5 AM, but that's just how it is. The weather was just perfect: sunny and already +21°C at 5 AM.


The white things you can see in that photo are these:


I don't know what plant that is, but they were all over the place in the open area, but not in the places where there were more trees. Another plant there was plenty of was Labrador Tea (Rhododendron tomentosum).


There was also a lot of spider webs – in plants on the ground, in trees, between trees. I felt bad about the spiders who had made their webs so that I had no choice but to break them, if I wanted to go forward. In a forest, you can always go around, but on a bog, walking a narrow plank path, there are no alternate routes, if you want to keep your shoes dry.


I found all sorts of other little creatures along the way. I can't identify butterflies in the caterpillar stage, so I have no idea what this is, but it looked cool anyway. I'm sure a bird will think twice before trying to swallow this one.


And of course there were slugs. You can find them almost anywhere.


Coming back from the bird tower, I went to the bird watching platform near the start of the route. I guess I was a bit too noisy, because I managed to scare away a crane, which was fairly close. As I didn't want to leave just yet, I sat some time at the platform listening to birds. That's when this came and sat on my knee:


I assume it's a bee, but it seemed too small to me, just under 2 cm long. Somehow I thought they'd be bigger. I guess I've seen too many movies where killer bees attack. I've posted a query in a discussion forum where I've got identification help before, so hopefully I'll find out the exact species.

No comments:

Post a Comment