Jun 21, 2013

Midsummer Eve

This morning I got up at 4 AM and went out cycling at 5 AM. The weather was cloudy, but warm and there was no rain, although it had rained during the night, so the air was clean of pollen and dust. I decided to head to another direction than on my earlier rides this summer and went to Kyrkösvuori. Its name says it's a mountain, but it's actually just a rock. The way up is a bit tricky when the ground is wet, because there are mosses and loose debris on wet rock.


On top, there is a bird tower and I was surprised to see that it had been fixed. The lower stairs were missing the last time I went there.


The sign on the pole says this point is 101 meters from sea level, so it isn't really that high.


Still, the view is nice. Here is a panorama showing the view to the lake. It's an artificial lake and there's a power station on the opposite side of it.


The ground was wet, so my shoes got wet and I needed to be really careful that I wouldn't slip, but it wasn't an entirely bad thing. I had to take about a dozen photos to get one that was in focus.


When I was cycling back, the sun started shining and the flowers on the side of the road looked really nice. This Tufted Vetch (Vicia cracca) and later in summer, it will have the kind of small pea pods that I used in the story Clueless.


I don't know what this one is, but it is a very common flower.


Red Clover (Trifolium pratense) is even more common.


After I had taken pictures of flowers I suddenly noticed that there was a big board on the other side of the road where an even smaller dirt road than the one I was riding on went into the forest. I remember seeing the road before, but I don't think there was a map then, so this was the first time I realized I didn't need to go back the same way. I always prefer taking another road back. The best part was, every major crossroads on the route marked in the map had the same map showing where I was at the moment, so I ended up taking a few detours as I was in no hurry to get back.


I didn't notice this in the first couple of boards, but finally I looked closer. That's a clever idea, giving the coordinates, so you can give those, if you have an emergency, and the help will arrive sooner as they will know exactly where you are.


At one point, I realized I was really close to the road I cycled when going to Kyrkösvuori. It's there in front of that building you can see behind the trees.


In one place along the route, there was a replica of a war time bunker and a small stretch of trench. This was close to the military obstacle course I found a couple of years back.


When I got to the bridge close to home, I saw this. Judging from the structures that had been built on the river bank, this boat is going to be here all summer, probably serving as a restaurant. Or maybe it's just for the farmer's fair at the beginning of July and the Tango festival a week later.


I've always thought that the designer of the pedestrian bridge was really clever, adding these ledges. There's another one on the other side and another two in the other end of the bridge, so you can stop to admire the scenery without being in the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment