Jun 8, 2013

The change of view

As I was going through the photographs, I picked a few that show how the view from my windows has changed since I moved to this apartment.

The first photo is a combination of the first two photos I ever took of the view, on May 2007. I actually moved in June, but the deal was made in May, so I got the keys then.


The first change was the building of the third house on the lot beside our house. The empty lot in the corner was used for the building site offices. The photo was taken in June 2008.


Next summer, in June 2009, the offices were taken away. I can't remember for sure, but I think the third house was finished at this time.


A year later, in May 2010, the building of the house in the corner lot was well on its way.


Here is a stop motion video of building the house during October 2009–December 2010.


The next change started in April 2011, as a crane was being set up in block 12. Block 11 is the one on the other side of the street and block 12 is behind that.


The houses to be built there were advertised in a newspaper.


In September 2011, the first house was already visible behind the trees.


The house on the corner lot was finished by the end of 2010. This photo is from February 2012 and you can see the house in block 12 looks quite ready, at least on the outside.


In November 2012, the corner lot on block 11 was being cleared and the old buildings on the lot were torn down. A construction company had acquired that lot, but after it was cleared, nothing else has happened on it so far.


In the direction seen on the right side of the first photo, nothing much has changed in all this time, except that a few new houses can be seen in the horizon. There have been quite a few cranes visible at that side of the town at one time or another during the six years I have lived in this apartment.

A change in block 11 is expected as soon as the construction companies get their grubby paws on the lots on which those old wooden houses reside. I understand it's not for the lack of effort, the owners just don't want to sell. And I think there's also a problem with the town plan.

I tried to look for the plan for block 11, because, naturally, I am interested in what kind of a view I can expect to have within the next 10 years or so. It seems that there was so much disagreement at the time the plans for blocks 11 and 12 were to be decided that they only decided the plan for block 12 (where the new house in the middle in the above photo is located) and left the plan for block 11 open. I think I should actually check again to see, if anything has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment