Jul 7, 2013

Paukaneva

I hadn't been out for a while, except for shopping, so I decided to go today. I cycled to Paukaneva and went for a walk there. I didn't go all the way to the bird tower this time, just half way and then back.

The sign warning about the poor condition of the footbridge is really a bit redundant, when the old part of the trail starts like this.


The first entirely open area is really open, and really wet. Slipping from the path would mean being at least ankle deep in the bog, if not deeper.


I took the forest route. The forest edge is really sudden. At one moment, you're in an open area, and in the next, you're in the forest. The weather was starting to warm up, so the forest was nice and cool, but there were also a lot of mosquitos.


At the halfway point (a crossing, where you can continue to the bird tower or return to the river),  I turned back and there are these tracks, which I saw also last year. I thought it looked like a stampede. Today I finally realized what this is. As I was here in early May, I saw a guy with rubber boots and Nordic Walking poles and he was walking very fast in the bog, not on the path. I thought it looked like training for some sports. I think these are his tracks, if he trains regularly, or maybe there are more people doing the same. Even if it's just the one guy, you could cause this, walking the same route again and again.


This was a bit odd. It's a kicksled, stuck in a 45 degree angle in the bog. I guess it's been there since winter.


A little later, I noticed a woodpecker in one of the few taller trees. It seemed to be a Great Spotted Woodpecker and young male based on the red top of the head. I managed to observe it quite a while and then it flew past me, about my waist height and only couple of meters away from me. It went to the other side of the trail and all of a sudden, there was another woodpecker, this time a female.



Recording the video was a bit hard as there were horse-flies buzzing around me all the time. One even managed to take a bite on my finger

There were a lot of cloudberries, but most were not ready yet. This one was, but it was a really strange one. Usually there are several "balls" stuck together, like in the lower picture, but this one was just one perfect, round ball.


Red cloudberries are raw. When they ripen, they get a nice golden yellow-orange color. This one still had a long way to go.


I really wish I could identify caterpillars. They are so weird looking creatures and there's no way to deduce anything about the looks of the adult butterfly on the basis of how the caterpillar looks.


I also saw a lot of butterflies. Silver-studded Blues were the most plentiful. They were everywhere.



As I was there early in the morning, there were also spider webs everywhere.


Coming back home, I decided to take the dirt road. I noticed the oncoming traffic from far, but they turned around before getting to where I was. Judging by the tracks, they do this every time, so it wasn't because of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment