Sep 16, 2013

Mushrooms

My left foot is still hurting, but I decided to go looking for mushrooms anyway yesterday. Fortunately, my foot doesn't mind cycling, so I got to the woods without any problems. When in there, I could have had a rest, except this chair was probably moist/wet and inhabited. It wasn't actually in the middle of nowhere as I was standing on the logging road when I took the picture, and the main road is a little bit to my right here. It always amazes me how lazy people can be. You need a car to get a chair like that in this place, so you might as well have taken it to where it belongs.


The new zipper pull in my vest is a compass. I like getting really small gear to minimize weight. I don't actually need a compass where I was going as I'm already familiar with the terrain, but it still feels safer to have one, just in case.


I should have gone a week or two earlier. Now the woolly milk-caps were there, but they were all dry and full of maggots. Still, they were there, which means that nobody else has found the place yet and there will be mushrooms for me there next year (provided I'm able to go).

I was disappointed, but decided to walk around a bit anyway and see if there would be anything interesting to photograph. This strange looking thing is a fungus of the family Polyporaceae. There are over 200 species of Polyporaceae in Finland and I have no idea which one this is.


Another unidentified species. You can tell just by looking that these are not edible, whatever they may be.


My disappointment vanished when I found these. It's actually two separate mushrooms, but they were growing in a hole so close to each other that when I picked one, the other one followed. I could actually see just a half of one mushroom from under the mosses, but as I had just found one similar mushroom a bit earlier, I knew immediately what it was. These are called Albatrellus ovinus (lampaankääpä) and they are very good edible mushrooms when young. The young ones are off-white, whereas the older ones are light brown or yellowy.


So, I found three big mushrooms with about half of each usable. I removed most maggoty parts already in the forest and back home, checked the rest more carefully as I diced them. Basically, you need to get the bigger concentrations of maggots out. An individual, almost invisible hole here and there isn't that dangerous (it's just extra protein anyway).


These ended up in the pot with some onions, coconut milk and rice. Not a traditional Finnish recipe, but tasty and glutenfree and dairyfree.

No comments:

Post a Comment